How to Reverse Hair Loss from Medications Image
Medications can have unwanted side effects and the list of medications that cause hair loss is surprisingly long. You may not have been made aware of this when you first started taking the drug and you can ask your doctor for a drug that does not have hair loss as a possible side effect as a substitute.
The severity of drug-induced hair loss depends on the type of drug and dosage, as well as your sensitivity to that drug.
The bad news is that hair loss can have a real effect on your self-esteem. The good news is that in most cases, drug induced hair loss usually reverses itself once you stop taking the drug, so its rarely permanent.
How Drugs Cause Hair Loss?
Drugs cause hair loss by interfering with the normal cycle of scalp growth. There are two phases of growth:
- Anagen Phase, which lasts for two to six years, the hair grows.
- Telogen Phase, which lasts about 3 months the hair rests. At the end of the telogen phase, the hair falls out and is replaced by new hair.
Medications can lead to two types of hair loss:
- Telogen Effluvium is the most common form of drug-induced hair loss. It usually appears within two to four months after taking the drug. This condition causes the hair follicles to go into their resting phase (telogen) and fall out too early. People with telogen effluvium usually shed between 100 and 150 hairs a day.
- Anagen Effluvium is hair loss that occurs during the anagen phase of the hair cycle, when the hairs are actively growing. It prevents the matrix cells, which produce new hairs, from dividing normally. This type of hair loss usually occurs within a few days to weeks after taking the medication. It’s most common in people who are taking chemotherapy drugs for cancer and is often severe, causing people to lose most or all of the hair on their head, as well as their eyebrows, eyelashes, and other body hairs.
How to Reverse Hair Loss, Naturally
Now that you know certain medications can cause hair loss, you may be wondering if there is anything you can do to minimize or reverse it. There is, and our research and product reviews have proven it. Switch to one of our All-Natural Shampoo Bars.
Why? Because, if you are using bottled commercial or specialty shampoos that contain synthetic ingredients, you may be exacerbating hair loss further. These bottled shampoos contain chemicals that are damaging to hair and the scalp even when you are not on medication.
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate or SLS – A synthetic foaming chemical that produces the bubbly lather, but it strips hair of its essential oils and halts hair growth.
- Sodium Chloride or table salt – A thickening agent in products containing SLS that can dry the scalp causing it to itch and encourages hair loss.
- Polyethylene Glycol (also known as PEG, Polyethylene or Polyoxyethelyne) – A thickener that strips hair of its moisture.
Why should you switch to a shampoo bar?
Our solid shampoo soap bars are formulated to cleanse, nourish, and moisturize your scalp and hair with natural botanical ingredients. Each bar is loaded with luxurious fluffy lather that gently clean without stripping away your natural protective oils.
Everyone can benefit by switching to an all-natural shampoo bar, but if you suffer from scalp and hair problems such as dandruff, scalp psoriasis, frizz, dryness, flaking, itching, excess oil, skin sores, baldness or thinning hair – you will be extremely pleased with the results.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Gentle on hair and scalp
- Eliminates itchy, dry scalp, and dandruff
- Increases volume
- Helps hair grow faster
- Defines curls in curly hair
- Hair is less fizzy
- Leaves hair shiny
- Doesn’t strip hair of its natural oils
- Helps to retain color and moisture
- Unbelievable cost effectiveness, one bar lasts months