How to Naturally Improve Eye Skin
The skin around the eyes is more fragile and prone to dryness, and quickly shows signs of aging and fatigue. It’s much thinner that skin elsewhere and naturally lower in collagen and elastin for skin strength and resilience. Furthermore, this area is constantly under assault from chronic stress, dehydration, compromised sleep, pollutants, and sun exposure.
Here are a few other factors that affect the skin around the eye area:
- Dark circles under the eyes come from genes, sun damage, age, and blood build-up.
- Fine lines and wrinkles come from both sun damage and your skin making less collagen as you age. Collagen helps maintain skin’s elasticity.
- Squinting and constant movement of the eyes increases the appearance of lines and wrinkles
- Fluids collect under the eyes and cause puffiness and dark circles.
In order to help keep your skin healthy and glowing, it’s important to understand what causes eye skin damage and how to prevent it. Try these simple tips and lifestyle changes to help reduce irritation around your eyes.
CARING FOR YOUR DELICATE EYE SKIN
From removing your eye makeup and contact lenses, to applying products onto the skin around your eyes, it’s important to be gentle. Again, the skin under your eyes is very thin and any extra pressure from our daily activities has the potential to contribute to extra fine lines. The following are a few tips for ways to be gentler during your skin care routine:
When you remove your makeup
- Apply your favorite eye makeup remover to a cotton pad.
- Press the pad gently onto your skin.
- Slowly drag it in an outward motion.
- Repeat until your makeup is fully removed.
When you apply your products
- Apply your product to your pinky finger.
- Dab your products around the eyes, circling your eye area. Don’t forget the upper eyelid.
- Repeat until the product is fully absorbed into the skin.
Wash Your Face Before Bed
Don’t hit the hay without washing your face, especially if you wear makeup. Excess dirt and makeup can be irritating to skin, especially the delicate skin around your eyes. Make sure you use a gentle cleanser such as these All-Natural Cleansing Options. One of our favorite ways to remove dirt and makeup are the Facial Cleansing Oils that are available in skin-type specific options.
Sun Protection Is A Must
Sun exposure can play a big role in the skin aging process, and can lead the darker skin under your eyes, fine lines and wrinkles. Use sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats to protect your face from harmful rays.
Manage Your Allergies
Allergies can make your eyes water and cause inflammation on your face, and puffiness around the eyes. Over-the-counter allergy medicines that you take for allergies, sinus infections or colds can help dry up the inflammation. You can even try a Neti Pot or our favorite, NeilMed Sinus Rinse which helps flush out all the extra moisture in your sinuses.
Be sure not to rub your eyes aggressively during allergy season which can further damage eye skin.
Switch Your Sleep Position
Sleeping on your stomach night after night takes a toll on the delicate skin of your face. Gravity causes fluid to collect under your eyes and can lead to eye bags. Friction from your pillow can cause pronounced wrinkles. Try to sleep on your back and add an extra pillow under your head or invest in a pillow wedge.
When it comes to changing your lifestyle habits and protecting the skin around your eyes, we advocate for what shows on the outside reflects what’s happening on the inside. Curbing the salt, watching the alcohol and sweets can all help in reducing inflammation and the dreaded puffy eyes. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your body hydrated.
Want another reason to kick the habit? Smoking can dry and weaken the skin on your face. Say no to smokes and save yourself from wrinkled, droopy eyes.
Moisturize, Moisturize and Moisturize Again!
It’s essential for women and men to use an all natural eye cream daily that helps moisturize and hydrate the skin under the eyes.
A good eye cream helps prevent the signs of aging while reducing wrinkles, fine lines, inflammation and irritation. Our all-natural Creamy Eye Treatment is formulated with these guidelines and made for 360-degree application around the eyes:
- Moisturize – Our unique eye cream is specifically formulated for the delicate skin around the eyes and contain rich oils giving it a creamy thick consistency.
- Hydrate – Formulated with a water base that helps to plump up and hydrate the skin giving it a full, dewy appearance.
- Brighten – Rich botanical extracts protect and help fortify the skin from further signs of aging.
- Firms and Tightens – With nightly use, our Creamy Eye Treatment will firm up and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Creamy Eye Treatment$19.95
In closing, self-care is important to the health of your skin. Understanding how to care for the delicate skin around the eye area and keeping a consistent eye cream routine will give you those bright, beautiful eyes.
Written By: Mary Ellen Wank, Wellness Advocate and Founder of LATIV, Natural Skin Revival DISCLAIMER
Eyelid Dermatitis (Eczema) Symptoms, Cause & Treatment
How To Choose and Use a Facial Serum
5 Reasons to Start Using a Facial Cleansing Mask
The Benefits of Using A Facial Scrub
- WebMed: Banish The Bags Under Your Eyes
- LifeScape: How To Treat Fine Lines Under Eyes
- Healthline: 7 Ways To Care For Skin Around Your Eyes
Comments are closed here.